A blog of fashion, food and family. With a few random musings inbetween.

Wednesday 14 September 2011

Hoarder!

No sooner did Dad utter the  words "we're sorting all your Grandad's things out that were at the back of the cupboard" then I was jumping in the car up to his house. I love a good rummage through old things and whats better than the items belonging to family members.

Grandad left us 12 years ago, so there was nothing I haven't seen before in the suitcases and boxes, but my interest in vintage items has increased during that time. We came across WW2 knuckle dusters with daggers attached, old swords, various large wooden wall clocks, pictures, vases, goblets, a huge range of things. Each wrapped in pieces of retro curtain fabric! I was in my element.

I came home with a few pieces that match my living room, cut glass ashtrays (ideal for my crystals!), trinket boxes, a silver 'thing' that I have no idea what it is but I liked. The Terror asked if it was for her pudding! lol.
My favourite item is the copper kettle. I actually inherited this when Grandad was still alive as I used to play for hours with it at his house, so now it sits proudly on my hearth. The most hugely special and sentimental item is the wooden barometer. The glass has a crack in and Dad suggested I get it fixed, but I simply recoiled in horror! It had a crack in when Grandad was alive and as long as I'd known the barometer and that's the way it shall stay. Every time our Grandad would walk to the front door to say good bye and see us out, he would tap twice on the barometer to see what the weather was like. Ive no idea if these things actually work, but its going to have a very proud place on a wall in my house, as soon as I can find a suitable wall... Yes, my name's Zoe and I am a hoarder.



3 comments:

  1. That must have been a lovely afternoon revisiting those treasured things from your past.
    My Dad's barometer is way more accurate than the BBC weather, it's all to do with atmospheric pressure or something! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. love to dig out old treasures and i must admit i am a hoarder myself too!

    http://pinklemonsorbet.blogspot.com/

    Meena ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. THings with family history and stories attached are so much more special. Hooray for hoarders. If my family had not been such obsessive hoarders, I wouldn't have half the clothes and accessories I now own!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, I love reading through all of your comments.