A blog of fashion, food and family. With a few random musings inbetween.

Wednesday 29 June 2011

The Hidden Breasts

A woman hides her breasts with clothes;
She hides them from being seen
To betray their presence by shape
More pronounced than the naked.

Anything that is hidden means
It’s location isn’t traceable.
Breasts aren’t hidden with clothes;
Breasts are decked out with clothes.
Rm. Shanmugam Chettiar

Blouse - TK Maxx, Trousers - New Look, Shoes - New look

 
Boobs, breasts, banes of our life, whatever you want to call them, happy or unhappy with them, we have them! How do you treat yours? I'm sure we've all been guilty of squashing them into any bra that appears comfortable and no doubt all have in common that bulging bedroom drawer full of bras old and new in numerous sizes! For years and years Ive worn a 32C (as a late teen I thought I was a 36B!!!) and bought most of my bras from La Senza. The same style in every colour they had. They seemed to fit, lifted and looked OK. That was until a year ago I stepped into the wonderful world of Bravissimo who pulled the too stretchy and large back of my bra almost to the other side of the cubicle and swiftly ran off to bring me a vast range to try in my new size. 32DD. Double D?? Surely not I cried! "I'm only tiny, I can go bra less with strappy vests, no way on this earth am I a DD". Of course they fit like a dream and my tiny boobs proudly walked out of that shop with a DD status.

Who would have thought it?!?
Roll forward to today. Ive been nagging my mam for months to take herself to get fitted in Bravissimo and to stop wearing the shapeless ill fitting bras that a well known high street store keeps 'measuring' her for. We've all been there, had the tape measure tell us what size we are and be expected that all bras that size will fit no matter what. Its hardly news to us ladies that in fact they don't. Bravissimo do not use tape measures, just their well trained eye and skill at fitting us with various shaped and sized bras until we walk out with the perfect support and fit. Anyway, back to today (why do I wander off on a tangent when I'm writing?), finally my mam agreed to have an afternoon in town with me and get her some new boobs! Of course that gave me the excuse I needed to treat myself to a new bra too.
Looking through racks and racks of pretty lace, satin, spots, stripes and florals in more colours than a packet of Skittles this was dangerous territory! "Think sensible" I told myself "what do I really need?". That's simple, an item every lady should have in her drawer. The choice a man would never even cast his eye over in a lingerie shop as he strolls towards the scratchy red lace.... A t-shirt bra, a skin tone t-shirt bra to be precise. It is an absolute must for this seasons sheer fabrics, white summer dresses, blouses and basically t-shirts.
How hard can it be to choose one? Very. I must have tried on a dozen bras in various styles and sizes. I felt like Goldilocks (without the lovely long golden locks...) "too tight/ too loose/ too hard/ too scratchy/ too big/ too small". The poor fitter must have lost a few pounds running up and down to the stock room whilst remaining surprisingly calm and helpful "don't worry we WILL find one that's right" and on the last bra.... Tadahh! I don't know who sighed the biggest sigh of relief as we stared in awe of my perfectly encased bosoms.
My breasts, for the record, are now fitting into a 30E. E!!!! E for Enormous? E for EEEEE I don't believe it? Before I visited Bravissimo I assumed every E cup were the same size regardless of back size, this is so wrong. As I entered my mam's cubicle to check her progress as she hummed and harred over her new boobs (I wont go into detail of the dilemmas, that's her own story to tell) but I will tell you that she also measured an E. Except her E cup fit quite neatly as a new hat for me! I compared our two bras and wondered how this could be so. The fitter kindly explained the back size/cup difference and went on to show her own double G breasts (neatly covered in a pretty bra I must add). This lady was a very slim size 10, who would have thought it? So next time you walk past Bravissimo pop in and get yourself fitted. Its amazing the lift you get from it (pun intended!).
And no, I wont be sharing a bra photo, these will have to do for today! I'm not 100% convinced these trousers suit me, but they gave me a good excuse to wear my new heeled brogues I picked up for £8 yesterday in New Look's sale. Ive been lusting after a pair of brogues for months and finally realised why they looked hideous on my size 6 flipper feet (I am only 5ft 3 and people are always surprised at my size 6's), they were too flat. So when I found these beauties I snapped them up. Worn for an afternoon shopping in town I can confirm they are also super comfortable.

Shoes -  New Look, Necklace/Bracelets - Xmas gifts

3 comments:

  1. So beauty shoes!I follow you!
    Follow me?
    http://alinochkablog.blogspot.com/
    :*

    ReplyDelete
  2. bra fittings should be more widely done by women! i walked into wonderbra a 34D and walked out a 32G, much more comfortable and happier in my clothes!
    great post :)
    Rosie xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree the difference in the way clothes look is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, I love reading through all of your comments.