A blog of fashion, food and family. With a few random musings inbetween.

Wednesday 22 June 2011

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." (Aesop)

Jeans. My guilty pleasure. I have at least 10 pairs, though on deeper thought it may be almost double this. There's my comfy high waisted (hold it in...) flares which have taken a battering over the years, low faded straight cut, stretchy dark boot cut (safe jeans and too many of this type...), skinny jeans (again too many!), high waisted dark jeans (more holding it in....), cropped jeans, ripped jeans, decorating jeans... OK you get the picture. I won't even go on to mention the pile of coloured jeans, Christmas jeans and all those piled at the bottom of the wardrobe in the hope one day they will fit or failing that I may actually get around to listing them on Ebay!

One morning a few months ago, whilst having a 'not even mid-life' crisis I decided enough is enough. No longer will I spend 7 days a week in denim holding onto the security that any top will match my bottom half without much effort (even though there was always the issue of which top when I'm feeling bloated and past my best!). Time to grow some confidence, switch from scummy mummy to yummy mummy and try to feel good about myself whilst following my passion for fashion. Of course this is not an easy task for someone who has spent... wait til I work it out.... maybe the last 19 years as denims best friend. It was a scary prospect!

At this light bulb moment I pulled out my wardrobe contents and had a ruthless clear out. If I hadn't worn anything since my last wardrobe clear out it was going (apart from shoes... they don't count.. or bags!). I began looking at my summer clothes and even though at the time it was still freezing cold I decided to brave a selection of colourful tights I had stashed in my bottom drawer and tried out a whole new approach to my wardrobe. The first time I went out the house, and probably only to the school run or the shops I might add, not wearing my jeans was down right weird! It was drafty, and for all I worried I was over dressed I actually felt quite liberated. I always remember watching Lorraine Kelly on TV one morning saying "why keep something for best? We might not be here tomorrow so why have a wardrobe full of things with the tag still on? Treat every day as if its your last."  OK so I'm sure she didn't mean nip to ASDA in your best evening dress but hell if it makes you happy then why not!?

Today though I fell back to my comfort... I woke up late, needed to get the girls to school on time and looked at the heap of clothes on the floor and thought "waaah I have nothing to wear". We've all done this haven't we? Maybe I'm the only one who uses the floor as a wardrobe but that's my weekend mission.... My trusty dark denims were urging me to pull them on and I gave in to their pressure (or stretchy comfort I should say). The only way to recover the situation was add some detail. A teal long sleeved top which seems to suit my super pale skin a treat, kimono draped jacket over the top in a biscuit shade with teal coloured floral design and my trusty jewelry. Quick twist of unwashed hair and my 'daughter test' passed I was ready to go.
Kimono Jacket - Primark £12(?), Bird double ring - Primark £1, Bird cage necklace £3.75 Avon.

My birds drew plenty of attention as they always seem to when they're on an outing. Even whilst I was in the middle of getting my eyes tested the optician stopped pointing to dots and peering into my eyes to comment how how much she loved my jewelry and how fascinating it was. I think it was the first time I didn't blurt out how much it cost and where it was from, I simply smiled and said thank you. Does anyone else have the habit of doing this when someone compliments you on a thrifted/ebayed/primark bargain? "ohhh it was only a fiver from XYZ". Stop it (I guess I'm telling myself that!). They did not ask where it was from so just take the compliment and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, I love reading through all of your comments.