A blog of fashion, food and family. With a few random musings inbetween.

Saturday 25 June 2011

These aren't just fish and chips.....


They are Marshall's delicious crisp gluten free fish and chips, eaten at the sea front on a mild summers night. (OK these Marks and Spencer ads seem to have altered every one's way of describing food!).


In the last three years I've had fish and chips twice. Yes twice! (A chip shop not far from where I live, well a 20 minute drive not the local corner chippy, provides gluten free fish and chips once a month but they're bland, chewy and in fact not really worth the bother.) I've had to sit in many a chippy on holiday watching my family "mmmm" and "ahh these are lush" over their chips and fought with myself to resist temptation in eating a single chip or a piece of batter. The last thing I want to do after a tiring day on the beach is sit witnessing the family discussing how crispy, soggy, delicious, okish, their meal is whilst I open my Tupperware box full of pasta salad and have people look at me like I'm some diet obsessive. I want to tell my family to stop complaining and enjoy the fact they can eat what they want when they want, I want to tell staring public that this is not my choice to eat home prepared salad!


So three years ago I got the results that I tested positive for Coeliac's Disease. For those who are unsure on what this is, "Coeliac disease (pronounced see-liac, spelt celiac disease in other countries) is an autoimmune disease. Gluten, which is found in wheat, barley and rye triggers an immune reaction in people with coeliac disease. This means that eating gluten damages the lining of the small intestine. Other parts of the body may be affected." (from Coeliac UK)  It is not a dietary choice, it is a must. I cannot eat anything with wheat, barley, malt, oats, rye in it. Many people assume that just means avoiding bread and pasta but next time you pick up a bar of chocolate up at the corner shop, or something out of your cupboard just have a quick glance at the ingredients, it is a coeliac's nightmare out there.


Which brings up back to the chippy! On Thursday I visited Marshall's in Tynemouth who offer us coeliac's a fabulous service. Once a fortnight on a Thursday night 5-8pm they have a clean separate fryer out the back of the shop (away from cross contamination risks) and they produce the most delicious fish and chips I've tasted in such a long time, in fact Id even go as far as to say they were nicer than 'normal' fish and chips yet didn't leave that heavy 'urgh' feeling afterwards. Vinegar. Now there's another coeliac issue. When asked if I wanted salt and vinegar on I shook my head and explained i couldn't have vinegar (malt vinegar), the kind lady assured me they have gluten free vinegar and even gluten free curry sauce. 10 out of 10! I must have skipped out of that shop.


There's nothing more to say except thank you Marshall's!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, I love reading through all of your comments.