A blog of fashion, food and family. With a few random musings inbetween.

Monday 25 July 2011

I have a bit of a reputation in my neighbourhood....

Yesterday as I sprawled on the sofa in my flu-like stupor, Lemsip in hand and about to doze off, there was a knock on the door. My neighbour's mother-in-law stood in front of me beaming with excitement. "Our <enter name> says you do up old furniture and I have an old telephone table that's just going to the tip, its yours if you'd like it". Needless to say those words worked faster than any Beechams and I was following her out to the parking bays faster than you can say "Bless you"!
I didn't have the heart to tell her I had just recently sent my telephone table to the charity shop after deciding it didn't match the decor, but it wouldn't harm to take a look.

OMG. This was nothing like the piece I threw away with sagging fabric seat, flimsy legs... This was amazing! Solid dark wood, a carved lion arm, a huge storage box under the seat (ideal for Barbies!), shelves and a mini pull out desk. The tip?? It was going to the tip?? No way! Now all I have to decide is whether to leave it dark wood, scratches and all, as it matches the TV unit (a half Ercol dresser base) or whether to sand and paint it. There is something I'm loving recently with these dark wooden pieces and the pistachio coloured sofa as a contrast.


So it just goes to show, in the last 3 years of living here, the neighbours have watched me drag random bits of furniture from the car, I've sat outside in all weather sanding pieces (by hand! ouch...) and painting them, my kitchen looks like a furniture warehouse with numerous unfinished projects (hence no blog pictures in the kitchen...), and it has paid off. I'm the nutty girl who takes everyone else's junk whilst they fill their homes with the latest Argos additions.
 
Does anyone know anything about this piece? Is it really old or just a look a like? Not that it matters to me, this little fellow is here to stay.

1 comment:

  1. How fabulous, I can't wait to see what you're going to do with it. The carved end is particularly lovely.
    I'd say by the graduated foot and the wood it's probably 1950's. x

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, I love reading through all of your comments.