A blog of fashion, food and family. With a few random musings inbetween.

Friday 1 July 2011

How much is too much?

I often ask myself this when I'm buying an item of clothing or a pair of shoes. Whilst scouring the sales I never head for a rail that says anything other than "£10 or under" and even then I find myself thinking similar or even better items will be cheaper on EBay or in a charity shop. Apart from spending birthday money on a good pair of boots every couple of years or a handbag every few years (yes that rare for quality items) I haven't often splurged on a single item, unless it was for a very special occasion.


Dress - Topshop (via EBay!), Waistcoat - Miss Selfridge, Leggings - Primark

Last year as I stood staring at the sale rails I dared to venture over to the 'more than £10' rail though funny enough they never advertise that fact.... It was more out of morbid curiosity than any intention of buying anything. That was until my hands fell upon cold metal studs.... My eyes lit up as I stared at this, what I could only describe then as punky, waistcoat. Lifting it down from the rail the waistcoat almost fell out of my hands, the weight of that bloody thing is unbelievable! The price tag screamed at me, £50 reduced to £30. For a studded, punky waistcoat that I would only ever wear once. I thought and thought about it as I strolled around the shop and kept going back for another look. Sod it, for once I was going to treat myself to a quality piece and something I most certainly would never find in Primark. So that punky waistcoat is now a wardrobe staple for me. Ive worn it with a full on black goth style outfit, Ive dressed it down casual, its highlighted pretty floral dresses. Never in a million years did I think I'd wear it as much as I have done.



Having stumbled across a cost per wear calculator I've tested the theory for another major splurge of mine. Eight years ago I walked into Oasis and bought a faux fur coat for £100. I remember my mam and I both thinking that is a LOT of money! Now every winter since then, for approximately 3 months I have worn that coat every day. Its the most snug and cosy thing I have ever worn (and I doubt I will get another year out of it due to my love of shoulder bags). The calculator theory has worked out for me that my very expensive coat has actually worked out at approximately 14 pence per wear! Though that's assuming I take it off in spring... as we all know how dodgy the British weather is no doubt I have worn it even more than this.

It makes me think about the one off 'bargain' items from cheap high street stores that sit and hang in my wardrobe with the tags still attached months later. Is it worth paying a lot for something you will wear until it literally falls off your back? Better still if you find a bargain in a charity shop still full of life of course! If you'd like to try out the cost per wear calculator this is the one Ive just tried quickly: https://www.theskinnycow.com.au/cowculator/

I'm aware of the trend with bloggers for 'Frock on a Friday' and I absolutely love the idea. However Fridays for me are 'practical' days for me. I run a parent and toddler group in the mornings and every couple of weeks my Avon delivery arrives and I have to stand and sort through boxes and boxes of products. So basically its a day full of playing, carrying heavy play equipment, dodging sticky fingers/snotty noses, then lifting, bending and sorting! Hardly pretty frock weather. I did however manage to wear a dress (EBay bargain!) by teaming it with comfy leggings and black pumps! My youngest daughter decided yesterday she wanted to wear her party dress and I almost said no until I thought to myself shes not going to any more parties in the very near future, shes growing fast, shes independent, "yes" I surprised her with my answer. Her little face lit up! So today I yet again let The Terror again choose her own outfit (make the most of it before September comes!) and she pulled out our most recent bargain, a £3 Dappa Dot (oooh how much do I love the name of that brand!) hareem style jumpsuit from TK Maxx. She managed to climb, jump, run, ride bikes in total comfort and style. So whilst I set the tripod up to take my blog photos for today's post she asked me to take a photograph of her funky outfit. Bless her cotton socks (well, they save her sandals hurting her toes!)

Jumpsuit - TK Maxx, Sandals - TK Maxx

6 comments:

  1. awwe she is adorable!
    when i buy something I always compare how much it is to how much i think im going to wear it, to see if its worth it! :)
    lovely waistcoat! :)
    Rosie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rosie, I agree and I think its definitely something I will put into motion from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww cute.

    I like your dress x

    ReplyDelete
  4. She and her mummy are both beautiful and stylish ladies.
    I'm like you, I rarely spend more than a tenner on anything but I must admit I'd have been tempted with that studded waistcoat too.
    I can understand about the frock thing when you're a busy mum but how about sticking on one when they're bathed and in bed and you're having grown-up time? That still counts. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a fab idea Vix! Probably the only way some of my more glam outfits might actually get worn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your daughter is too cute for words, it takes after you!:)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, I love reading through all of your comments.