A blog of fashion, food and family. With a few random musings inbetween.

Thursday 21 July 2011

Yo-Yo

Up down, up down, pretty much sums up today.

21st July 1999, a hot sunny day which started off by a phone call from the hospital to tell us that our Granda had "taken a turn for the worse" and to get there asap. Well we all know exactly what that means. My brother and I were told to stay at home and to call Dad (who had chosen that day after a week off to return to work, only to be given a job down Sedgefield with no mobile coverage!). It was 7:40am. I still to this day do not know how we managed, but my brother and I shocked my mam by turning up (on foot) to the hospital 10 minutes later. Our beloved Granda, our very own party animal, had left us. As weird as today gets, poor Dad got given the same delivery today of all days to the same village he was at 12 years ago. Freaky.

At least the book of remembrance is available online.


Sports day. Again. This time at The Terror's nursery and a far better one than the local school sports days!

 There were fantastic fun races for ALL of the children.  (A far cry from Sports day) A race for parents/grandparents/siblings.

Yep I had to take my heels off. Well I wasn't expecting to race!

The dads get competitive!

We were provided with tea, coffee and ice cream cones! It was a really lovely morning.  Which ended in floods of tears from both the staff and parents as they said goodbye before the tots move up to Big School in September. The Terror is An Angel at nursery and gave her biggest hugs to the teachers, patting Suw and Lesley on the backs saying "there there, it'll be alright".... leading to more wailing from them!

Stylish headwear! I think we've just started a new trend.

Later that day at 3:15 it was a very different story at Big School with teachers looking pleased to see the back of their pupils for almost 7 weeks! My daughter came racing out all prepared to head immediately out for her ears pierced. She turns 9 next week and has finally decided to pluck up the courage and get them done. No longer can children wear tiny studs in their ears at school or elastoplasts covering the earrings so the 6 weeks holidays is the only suitable time to go ahead with the piercing. I was disappointed that the local professional piercing shops won't pierce children under the age of 14 (ears I mean!), as I quite fancied having my navel pierced at the same time. Ho-hum, off to Claire's Accessories we went. The Eldest was so brave and never moved a muscle, nor uttered a single ouch. Which is surprising as she would normally say "oww" and run off squealing if I simply peel a sticker off her skin! I couldn't let the bairn go through it all herself, so naturally I got a piercing too. The cartilage at the top of my ear is now the new owner of a diamond stud. Not sure how long for as years ago my 3rd hole on my ears got so infected I now have an awful piece of scar tissue there. (More likely due to the fact I hid the piercing under my hair for months to prevent my parents seeing it...)

Necklace - Dorothy Perkins

Popped to the crematorium on the way home to see the book of remembrance, when we got there they had changed the opening times to 9:30-3:30.... so anyone who works can't go. Crazy. My children love the crematorium, I know, they're weird, but its something about all the flowers and the fact the sun always seems to shine when we visit, The Terror thinks shes visiting heaven!

Double ring - Primark, Peacock ring - Dorothy Perkins

Ring - Dorothy Perkins

Looking back on the photos from the nursery sports day (which are mostly blurred thanks to a 'sports setting' not actually being a sports setting!) I've realised that A - those trousers look crap, and B - the fabric is awful. As I've said before, blogging is surprisingly helpful! Hopefully my accessories detracted from the attention of the bad trousers, though my mam helpfully informed me that I look like "The Woolworth's Lady" whoever she may be. I gathered from the tone it wasn't much a compliment. Outfit FAIL. I was fully in awe of my best mate's new Doc Martin's though, tartan! She thought she looked like Jo Brand, lol, but I loved her look.


3 comments:

  1. Yay for being able to take part in a sports day! :) How brave about the ear piercings too, I had to wait until i was 13 to be allowed to get them done..that said, i hardly ever rememeber to wear earrings now, and when i do they get a bit painful after a few hours, so maybe i should have worn them more over the yrs..
    do you have lots of exciting things planned for summer hols? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a bizarre coincidence with your Dad's trip.
    Life's strange like that, isn't it.
    Love the sports day photos and your fabulously quirky jewellery.
    I was 25 before I got my ears pierced. I loved enormous earrings so much it was torture to have to endure those piffling little studs for 6 weeks, i can tell you. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The studs are annoying when theres so many pretty earrings out there. My cartidge piercing is itching and tender... yet my daughters are fine. Im hoping its just a location difference :-S
    Haven't planned anything yet Char, just take each day as it comes and try not to let the children kill each other. No doubt many trips to the park/seaside/farm and the like. I'd love to say I was jetting to the Bahamas on a child free 5* holiday but I can dream ;o) You got any plans?

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, I love reading through all of your comments.